Sunday, September 21, 2008

Testimoments . . .

I have decided that since this is my blog and since I will eventually print it out in a book for a "journal".  I am going to share my testimoments.  (These are my testimony building moments).  So bear with me.  But two weeks ago I had the opportunity to attend a stake priesthood leadership training meeting in which the YW presidencies were invited.  The stake president spoke with love and concern for the youth.  He spoke in a forward manner regarding the challenges and confusion out there facing our youth (and children).  

I determined that I need to decide WHERE I STAND!  I know that the gospel is full of guidelines and direction that only lead to happiness, but I don't know if I have ever sat down and said . . . I am LDS all the way, meaning I don't pick and choose the commandments I follow.  So to protect my children and to only make my life a happier one, I decided that for family home evening we were going to sit down and write down our Family Standards.  So my girls would know that our family standards ARE the church standards.  So we went through the things we are (or strive to be) - (I had a little help with this by using the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet - a must read and read and read, religious or not).  We listed things such as we are modest, we are honest, we repent . . . This not only reminds us everyday of the church standards that we live by, but it also holds us accountable, we can't say we are if we aren't.  So we can strive to be what we say we are.  

And on the note of repentance, I had an Ah Ha moment (as Oprah would call it).  A former mission president spoke on how MANY missionaries entered the mission field un-prepared, and not fully ready for they had not repented from all the things they should have addressed. And then he mentioned that they need to know that repentance isn't painful . . . now he went on to say some wonderful things, but this thought, stuck with me.  

For those of you who know me personally. . . I have taken some bumpy roads that have lead me to where I am today.  I have definitely taken advantage of the atonement.  But as I would stand talking to the youth or whomever, and when I had to speak on repentance I always made sure to tell them that it was hard.  (Because I have always heard that it was, that it's through this hard that we are forgiven).  So I made sure to tell them that repentance was worth it but it was hard.  But inside I thought . . . I NEVER felt like it was hard when I did it.  The burden or sin I carried was hard!  NOT the repentance, repentance sets you free of the "hard", now maybe admitting the sin or revealing it is hard, but repentance is WONDERFUL and not possible without the sacrifice Christ made for us! Repentance lifts that burden from your shoulders, just as Christ said, let me carry your load.  

I drove home from that meeting in tears, not because of the overwhelming load that was placed upon us in regards to chastity and morality, but because I realized I HAD REPENTED fully.  I have always thought . . . well I feel like I repented, I have the spirit, I feel forgiven, I have forgiven, but it wasn't hard . . . so did I not do it right?  I DID, I HAVE, AND I AM!  I gained a whole new testimony of the atonement that I have used over and over.  What a wonderful thing, that thru love, compassion, and JOY . . . I repented and was forgiven and returned to a full, GOSPEL FILLED life. 

I challenge EVERYONE to sit down and think where do WE stand as a family or as a person.  Regardless of religion, what do we want to stand for.  And display these things in your home, to remind you daily of those standards that we strive for.

I am TRULY grateful for the Savior, because he saved me!  He is not only the Savior of the scriptures, the Savior of the Church . . . he is the Savior of ME!  I know that while I have been saved once or twice, I will continue to be saved my whole life through until I return home with my eternal family (and probably even after that).

"If we could only understand All we have heard and seen, We'd know there is no greater gift than those two words - Washed Clean."
Boyd K. Packer

P.S.  I decided to start a separate blog called testimoments so that I can put it out there in the "world wide web" for people to stumble upon because who wouldn't benefit from a testimony building moment.  So you can click on the button on the right for my future testimoments.  Also, feel free to share yours too either on your own blog or email me and I can post them on the testimoments blog.  THANKS!

5 comments:

Meagan said...

That is really a neat post. You had me in tears. I am constantly thinking about How to teach my children to live righteously and you just pointed out a good point. We all need to have Family Standards and LIVE them. Thanks for this reminder.

The Halls said...

Very good insight Ann! I always like to hear this stuff from people that really have been through some hard times. It makes be believe that there are really people out there that know in there hearts that having faith and repentance can bring peace. Thanks for your inspiration!

Marissa Vargason said...

Wow, that was wonderfully said and I cant imagine the feeling you have from not only going to the meeting but also just writing down your testimony. You have a valid point that everyone needs to sit down as a family and write down there family standards, this is something Im going to do with my family as well, our kids are getting older and to that point that we all need to have an understanding what is right and wrong and morale!

Annie said...

So beautifully stated. I'm proud of you. Jennifer Jones shared your handout with us last night at "club". Love your idea of OUR FAMILY STANDARDS. I want to do that for Trace and I, let alone pass along to my girls. Thanks.

Chris and Tarisa Todd Family said...

That was awesome Ann. The gospel is who I am. Theses days there isn't any fence sitting...we have to decide!!! I am glad we've both made the same choice! Thanks for sharing!